Thursday, April 24, 2008

They Were Nice Things to Find the Day after 4/20

So I woke up on 4/20: my wallet was empty, most of my pot had disappeared (probably smoked or left on people's carpets) and I was still really high. "Awesome," I said, it was a good way to start the week.

But the best thing about the deal is I came into possession of two CD's. Which gave me hints at how and where 4/20 had taken place.

The Resolvers, H'amsa
The Resolvers' first official EP is solid, I mean really solid. They bought real energy to the studio, for sure.

The five-track EP has that real reggae feel; the same feeling that brings people out so many people out to their shows. The crispness of this EP really shows to the talent of all the musicians in the band.

My favorite track is Clear -- it's got a very complete feel. At times, there's an this urgency to chill.

I suppose the only compliant I have of the CD is that it's only 5-tracks, it's like a few bites of a really kick ass meal, you just want more. But maybe I'm spoiled after the long shows at Kahuna.

Spread the Dub, Live @ City Limits...1/18/08
This is a great tape, really good show. I mean you can get really caught up in it, kind of lost in those chill sounds. At least I did.

With a good mix of originals and covers, the live cd is really cool. The 4/20 show at Kahuna was the first time I've seen Spread the Dub, and I'm glad I could leave with a CD, but Spread the dub has street cred.

I knew about them before I tried looking them up, they got stickers everywhere -- guerrilla advertising at its best.

I don't like writing reviews, because what a review really says is "This was great or review worthy, and you missed it, don't you feel shitty?" But I'm going to, if you didn't get to the 4/20 show at Kahuna you really missed out, and you should feel shitty. It was a little crowded but - from my experience - everyone there was good people.

The music was fucking great, as well.

Next CD review: Black Finger - Black Finger forever. Probably in a few days -- May 10 is the CD release party.

1 comment:

Anna Blasco said...

I like reviews if I've been to the show. Then I can reminisce about how great it was, or argue with you if I disagree. Plus, a friend of mine is in that band, and it would have been nice to know what the show was like, sense I'm in DC and haven't ever seen them. Yeah.