Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Dive Bar with The Lights Down Low

I drove out to Coral Springs once to see the Lights Down Low. I can't remember why.

I might have just gotten back form a music festival, probably Bonnaroo: wearing a tye-dye T-shirt, smoking grass and bored. They were playing The Walk that night, I didn't know what "The Walk" was. I was kind of confused when I arrived at a shopping center, but I was really impressed with their real funk and jazz sound.

It wasn't the best show ever. A lot of that had to do with the venue -- which was, as stated above, a strip mall -- but Friday, Feb. 29 at 11 p.m. when they play the Poorhouse in Las Olas has real potential.

The Poorhouse is a true dive bar, which is my favorite kind. The selection of beer is amazing, with specialty beers, like my personal favorite Purple Haze. I mean, hot damn, that's good beer.

Beer and Funk? That's a good combination no matter how you define those words.

No comments: