Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Folk Music Pulls on my Heart Strings.

Folk is a term used loosely to describe music for and by the common people.

I was driving around one afternoon, listening to WLRN NPR my favorite local radio station. Sundays at 2 p.m. the station hosts a really great folk music show, I recommend it.

Well, on this particular Sunday, host Michael Stock was speaking with two UM students: Raffa and Rainer. I was pulling into Walgreen's to get some pictures developed, and they started to play "Boy at the Bar", I had to take a minute and enjoy the music; it was something else -- I had goosebumps, no lie.

Sadly, the shows archives haven't been updated in a while, but they do have a nice selection of Youtube videos:



The Miami locals are making the hike up to Palm Beach County, March 2, at 9 p.m. to play Dada in Delray.

If you've never given folk music a chance, you have to, at least once. It's the kind of music that can get into your core if you let it, the kind of music that can really move someone.

Raffa and Rainer reminded me of that on that Sunday afternoon.

No comments: